The Lake Macquarie Development Control Plan No. 1 contains the following description of the settlement of Boolaroo:
"Much of the area now known as Boolaroo was granted to William Brooks in 1839. By the mid 1880’s Sir James Fairfax was the owner and it was around this time that the Stockton Borehole Colliery opened west of Boolaroo, across Cockle Creek. Fairfax subdivided his land in the 1890s and further subdivisions followed. By 1902, three subdivisions had taken place, setting up the residential allotment bounded by Main Road, Creek Road and Seventh Street.
In 1896 land was cleared north of First Street by the Sulphide Corporation (Ashcrofts Process) Ltd, for a lead and silver ore treatment plant. The construction, expansion, and continued operation of this plant led to increased demand for adjacent residential land, and Boolaroo began to thrive. Subsequently, several businesses, including
G Hawkins & Sons Transport and Construction firm, Finlay’s sawmill, and TC Frith’s grocery, grew to include hardware and associated goods.
The Boolaroo Public School officially opened in 1900. The Post Office (since demolished) soon followed in 1901. Continued prosperity was recognised by the opening of the Fire Brigade in 1901 and the Ambulance Station in 1922, the first ambulance station in the Newcastle area."
The above history identifies the strong historic connections between the site and the township of Boolaroo and its regional transport connections. It also shows that the site has been used for heavy industrial activities since 1895 and therefore has not been accessible to the public for approximately 112 years. The Master Plan process seeks to ensure that the site is opened up to the existing Boolaroo community through open space connections, connecting streets and a legible urban development.